Friday, 23 November 2007

Day 1

Well, I am now initiated into the world of craft fairs and trying to sell your own work! I was up at 6.30am and was at the fair for just after 8am. It was a bit hectic setting up, I think as I had never done it before, but luckily my friend Kasia had done a fair last weekend so she knew what she was doing.

It was quite a busy day on our stand, and although I only sold about 15cards all day, I think maybe the market tomorrow will be a bit of a different demographic and there may be more people (fingers crossed) that my work appeals to.

As for sales technique, not being a naturally pushy person, I am trying to gauge the way people like to be approached. Having worked in the the reatil sector of Pharmacy for several years, I have always asked if people need any help, let them get on with things and answered any questions if needed. Now, I know this pitch won't win any sales awards, but what is the secret of sucessful marketing? I'm thinking a subtle, observative angle, but am open to the opinions of the professionals...

So, sales-wise, a little disappointing, but am staying positive. After all, this is my first show, and I have a lot to learn, so even after this weekend, if i don't sell a lot more, I will know a lot more for next time.

2 comments:

Ribbon Rock Star said...

Best of luck with the sales.....

Linda

Annette Piper Dip. Gem. Handcrafted Jewellery said...

Get a hold of the Bruce Baker CD "Dynamic Sales & Customer Service" - I am in Australia but ordered it from the US last year and I am so glad I did. It made a HUGE difference to my selling and the results are still noticeable. Its well worth the $20-25 ;)