Wednesday, 2 July 2008

What I've been up to...

Well, before I went away for the weekend I thought I would treat myself to these two books, which have been featured and recommended by PrintPattern and they are both full to the brim of amazing inspirational patterns and ideas. Highly recommended by me also!! If anyone else has any pattern-y reommendation of great books to inspire then let me know. My Amazon cart is ready and waiting!

Here are a few of my garden sketches that I did last weekend in the amazing gardens at Combermere. I'm really happy with what I have got so far, and have lots of ideas for development. As instructed by my little sister I have written myself a project brief for this next batch of work and I've been looking through my old college sketch books to get me back into the open-minded free way of thinking out a project. Does this work for anyone else?




My fave is this Euphorbia (or at least I think thats what it is), they are so cool to draw. I am hoping this one will make it to some kind of lino cut print, but I think I will need the patience of a saint to carve it!




So thats all for now. I have to spend the rest of the week at my day job, as we are having to replenish the old savings account after all the studio work, so not much time to play I'm afraid. At least I will be thankful at my next pay day, although it's not seeming like such a good idea at the moment. But if I look on the positive side (which I am more prone to do these days) I'm half way through my working week already, so its all down hill to the weekend! And then only three days to work next week... yey!!
PS I have been meaning to add some new blogs to my fave blog list for ages, so I have done now. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Karen Faulkner said...

I love the Euphorbia sketch! I have never heard of that plant; it reminds me of a Cleome (we call them spider flowers).

littlemithi said...

UUUHhh!!

Fab flowers!!!!

Francesca said...

hi sooziebee! thanks for your sweet comment on my blog today. i'm after those books too...you've just reminded me. lovely drawings too.

Gillian said...

Those sketches are beautiful in their own right. My fav is the Eryngium at the top -I'm growing one in the garden for art purposes and it's very inspiring.x