Monday, 17 November 2008

To-do lists and business plans

More developments from my new project, which I'm just loving working on, think pink and girly and thats pretty much where it's at at the mo! The sketch book is filling out nicely with research and doodles. It's really good to try something completely different to the usual. I'm thinking gift wrap and cards for this design, it just needs a bit more tweaking.

So I can add that to my list of things to do for whats left of this year and then into 2009. At least I don't have the mad Xmas Craft Fair rush to contend with. I decided not to do any, and try and concentrate on getting a bit of a portfolio together. The thing I really wanted to do this year was to get my goods into some shops locally, which I must admit, I hadn't really spent much time on 'doing' due to working extra thru the summer and also our big holiday. Thanks to Nottingham Craft Mafia, my goods are now in a shop, which ticks that box for 2008.

My aspirations for 2009 are to sell some of my designs and patterns and produce more cards and canvasses and also try to boost my online sales. I feel like I need to revisit my 'business plan' and beef it up a bit for this coming year and get a bit more focussed. I look around online at the amazing work being produced and the inspiring people that are getting out there and making it happen, and that's what I want to do!! I haven't got a clue where to start really but at least I feel now that I'm starting to gather enough work to be able to show people and not feel like I'm just 'pretending'. And I do feel this year, even though I haven't had masses of work to do that I've been able to take my time discovering a bit more about my work, not putting myself under too much pressure, enjoying my lovely new studio (although time in there never seems long enough) and kind of firming up the ideas of what I want to do. I feel more confident that I can do it (just don't really feel I know exactly 'how' just yet!), but plenty of people out there are doing it, so why can't I?

What are everyone elses plans for 2009??? Please tell....

2 comments:

Karen Faulkner said...

I'm finding things (keep fingers crossed!) are finally starting to take off after investing a lot of time, effort and money in different areas. For 2009 I plan to expand a bit into using my images on a few functional products. Consignment sales (or lack thereof) have been disappointing, so I need to revisit that strategy. When things are slow in January-February, I may do a postcard mailing to my customer list. Thanks for this post; it's good to share ideas! It can be overwhelming but I try to do one productive or creative thing each day to keep moving forward.

Karen Faulkner said...

And before I babbled on and on, I meant to say how much I like this design! I could definitely see it on gift wrap or even a cosmetics bag or brush holder.