Friday, 24 July 2009

Picking up


Which could mean quite a few things... I'm picking myself up after a traumatic week of losing my dog, Jack. I'll not go on about it too much, but we miss him. He was such a massive part of our lives and the house is so quiet without that crazy boy running about and just being a sweetheart.
I also picked up my sketchbook and pens today, which shows how much better I am feeling. Earlier in the week I couldn't face the thought of even doodling so it's good to put pen to paper again. I'm working on my bird theme still, which has had quite a good shelf life so far, but I'm working on variations... see above... this one is a bit different to my others in the series, and reminds me of thought bubbles, maybe reflecting how many different things have been going on in my head this week.
On an even more positive note, my sales on Folksy are also picking up. I have now sold three originals and a set of 'moving house' cards. BUT I have been having a major dilemma about my pricing structure. I think I have always underpriced myself, party because I always felt like I wasn't a real 'artist' (i do seem to have a problem labelling myself!!), I didn't think anyone would want to buy my work, regardless of what my nearest and dearest repeatedly told me, and I felt like I was just playing about and I didn't really take myself seriously (but then its bad to take yourself tooo seriously!). But as time has moved on, I'm feeling more confident in myself and my work and maybe it's time to rethink my prices. I don't want to undervalue my work but also don't want to price myself out of the market either (in the current economic climate and all). Is this a problem everyone wrestles with?

2 comments:

Ruth O'Leary said...

It's something I struggle with, certainly. Every time I need to come up with a price for a commission, I feel oddly guilty, as though my work isn't worth it and I should be giving it away. I don't think this is helped at all by the attitued a lot of embroiderers have, that embroidery somehow isn't as good as other forms of art; I once asked a 'senior' embroiderer what I should charge for a piece of work, and she advised me on no account to charge less than minimum wage! But on the other hand, a client once had a quiet word with me and told me I should be charging a lot more. If we don't value ourselves, then you can guarentee that no one else will. Go for it, girl!

Karen Faulkner said...

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm going to do a little more thinking and make a decision in September...