Sunday, 16 August 2009

a trip down sketchbook memory lane

I have been going thru bit of a retrospective phase at the moment, probably because I have come to the end of one project (the birds, the birds!!) and am getting itchy feet about moving on to a new one, inspiration yet failing to strike. So I have been revisiting some of my old work, in an attempt to get the creative juices flowing again, and trying to come up with a new ideas for whatever comes next.

So, due to lack of new work, here are some pictures from one of my fave sketchbooks, which I did a couple of years ago at college, whilst I was doing my Foundation course. We had a printmaking course, which I really enjoyed, and we covered everything from basic monoprint, to etching, collograph etc. I loved putting together my sketchbook, although looking back at it, it now seems a bit orchestrated (we were told that the whole module would be marked, including our sketchbooks. This, for me, took the experimental aspects of the sketchbook away, as I wanted it to 'look good' and get a good mark!! Ever studious!!)








These days, my sketchbooks are very different. They are just about me and my creative processes, rather than being about hoops which one must jump thru in order to get a good mark and pass the course! I don't have to show them to anyone if I don't want to, and I don't have any college tutors breathing down my neck, waiting to see what I have done this week!! I'm not sure I have a favourite in my collection, but maybe I'll dig some of mine out to show you too. One thing I do know is, even after all of the sketchbooks I have filled over the years, I'm still filled with a little trepidation when faced with a brand spanking new one, full of clean white pages, and there is still a little voice in my head (probably from my childhood) hoping I will do my book justice and not spoil it!! How weird!!
As part of my fascination with sketchbooks, I will be doing a series of blog posts on 'Sketchbook Peeks' for the Nottingham Craft Mafia blog, which I am really excited about. I'm going to ask some of my fellow mafiosa, and also see whether I can get some of my admirable blog-rollers involved. I'll be having a peek into their sketchbooks, and asking them some nosey-parker questions, so I hope you will stop by and have a read.

1 comment:

Karen Faulkner said...

I was cleaning out my own studio area this morning and came across some of my old sketchbooks. They're so much fun to look through!