Sunday, 13 September 2009

AWOL - Sue's creative mojo

I have been a naughty blogger! Have been away on another holiday (Spain this time, to dog-sit for my friends three lovely doglets!) and have neglected my little old blog once again. I have had a lovely eleven days in southern Spain, full of sun and sangria, and am back now to take on the Great British Autumn. We even had a holiday from our holiday and when my friends got back from thier sojourn, we bogged off in our hire-car and went off to Costa de la Luz, which is a beautiful, unspoilt area of the Spanish coastline, for a couple of days. It's been grrreat, really relaxing, am still virtually horizontal!!

So, thats the reason my blog posts have been non-existent for the past couple of weeks. Before I went away I did get some of my work framed, ready for action, for my first 'stockist' in Nottingham. You can't really see the details but you get the general idea. I didn't want to risk unwrapping them, as, knowing me, I'd trip up out of the car on delivery day, and ruin them!!

And while I was at the framing place, I decided to get another piece framed, and I am just loving
the results (is that really big-headed of me to say??). I did this piece last year, after a winter holiday in Northumberland, inspired as I was by the big-wintry landscapes up there. It was made with wools, and various other fibres and threads, couched and stitched onto the backing. I may have another play with this technique again, and see where it takes me....

Which leads me onto my latest dilemma.... I have hit a bit of a brickwall with my work.... i've lost my creative mojo, so-to-speak... and I'm just waiting to be struck by new inspiration. I really feel like I need to get on with making some new work, but just haven't a flipping clue what to do. Maybe I'm just taking myself too seriously, trying too hard, and thinking of the end product before I even start a new project. Maybe I just need a good talking to by my sis, or just a plain old kick up the derriere, who knows..... what does everyone else do when inspiration doesn't strike.... top tips welcome (that's if anyone else still reads this!!)

2 comments:

Petal Textiles said...

glad you had a lovely holiday!

Sorry to hear your not feeling very creative. Its so hard when when you hit a difficult patch. I try and just make something fun, and maybe something I have been meaning to make for myself for a while and sometimes this starts some new ideas. The other thing I do is try a new technique, again just for a bit of fun. I agree it can all become at bit serious at times.

I am very sure it will return soon and you will be producing some more wonderful new work.

Karen Faulkner said...

The trip to Spain sounds fabulous! When I need a creative jumpstart, I try something different and new. This month I'm trying the pottery wheel, beginning a sketching class and making a dried flower wreath. In November I'm participating in National Novel Writing Month. How I will have time for all this and still manage to paint new watercolors for my shop, I have no idea!!