Saturday, 2 January 2010

Back to basics...


Well, Happy New Year to you all, and I hope it is a very Happy one. Mine has been just perfect so far, and very chilled out, which is just what we both need. The only energetic thing we have done so far has been to walk the dog, yesterday frosty blue skies, deer-spotting in the woods, and today grey and cold, across the fields in a cotton-wool snowfall! Home-made walnut bread to mop up the home-made parsnip, parmesan and sweet potato soup, a big cup of tea, afternoon bath and blazing fire..... yes you could say I am feeling quite content wih life...
I have started reading the Creative License book I mentioned the other day, and read most of it yesterday, before going back thru it and starting to do the exercises that the author recommends today. See below for the results of a slooooooow contour sketch of a mug and a chair, without looking at the paper while you are drawing.... quite difficult not to peek!!
The book is definitely worth a look, it takes you right back to basics, and gets you to slow right down and 'look' at your subject, and also conquering that negative voice in your head which quite often stops you from experimenting with new techniques.
I've also done a few of the other exercises, and it's feeling great to just pick up a pen just because. Being the impatient person that I am, I'm finding myself wanting to rush on, but I'm going to force myself to slow right down and enjoy the process. In the book, you are encouraged to keep a journal and draw as much as you can. This is what I intend to do over the next month or so, make more time for drawing, and looking and noticing things, instead of rushing around with my eyes to the ground thinking about what I have to do next!! So watch this space for some, hopefully half decent sketches and drawings, as I work my way back to feeling creative...
BTW, I think Danny Gregory might be my new hero!! Chck out his website here for q&a, pictures, art, profile etc, its amazing!!

3 comments:

Karen Faulkner said...

I ordered the book last night! Can't wait to get it! I feel in need of a creative jumpstart.

PICCALILY & BLOSSOM said...

Oooooohhhh how perfect. That soups sounds delicious. THE BOOK! I am goung to go and eat my tea (Mr H doth call) then investigate this further. Sounds FAB FAB FAB

Glad your year is going well.

witchmountain said...

I think I might have to give this a try. Feeling very un-creative at the moment;mostly just looking out the window at the snow! Happy New Year x