Sunday, 14 February 2010

don't be scared of the dark

which I think I am sometimes when I'm doing my sketching. I tend to draw the outline and then tentatively shade using a cross-hatching, which seems to be the flavour of the month at the mo!! I always feel as though my sketches look so much better when I get a bit braver and make the shading heavier, it gives much more definition and, even though it's more time consuming, it is a lot more satisfying!! And I have noticed there is a lot of white space on my pages, maybe I need to put an end to this and colour wash or collage some pages before I draw on them, to give a bit more depth and interest to my pages.

This weekend has been lovely (apart from living in the house of germs, yes we still have our colds!! boo!!). I got to look thru a lot of my 'sketchbook-books' as my niece came to stay. She is a bit of an artist herself so it was great to spend some time talking about ideas and how to look at things and draw them in different ways, setting yourself mini-tasks and challenges. We even bought her a new sketchbook so I have converted another person to Danny Gregorys cause of drawing more and hopefully she will start to fill it up with her drawings!!

As for other stuff, I have been in a bit of turmoil recently (well, I say turmoil, that maybe is a bit over-dramatic, maybe i should rephrase...? confusion, perplexity (is that a word)? perhaps) about my life-family-work-art-sparetime balance! I have been trying to think of ways to be able to spend more time on my business and had to make the decision to cut back on a few ventures I have become involved in. It's sad, but I think I have made the right decision, even though I feel as though I am letting people down. Why is it I seem to spend half of my life trying to make up my mind about things and the other half of it feeling guilty about the decisions I make!! True Libran, always trying to weigh everything up and make the right choices!
Ok enough blathering, enjoy the rest of your Valentines Day

2 comments:

Julie said...

I really like the variety of your drawings and paintings. Isn't it nice to try different things and not be stuck in one style. It's fun to see another artist. I make cards also. Check out my blog-juliesjabber-julie.blogspot.com.

Petal Textiles said...

Glad you had a nice weekend, but hope you get rid of the cold soon.

Some times you need to do whats best for you and I'm sure you haven't let anyone down.