Monday, 8 March 2010

talk is cheap

a strange title for a post but i'll come to that in a min!! Here is my latest 5 min sketch i did the other day when i was in the studio and before I started doing my work, call it a quick warm up if you like, stretching and flexing my creative muscles!! I'm still sticking with the sketchbook journal and have ordered another Danny Gregory book too, which should be with me by the end of the week. I can't wait to get it!!

As for post title, it was just another little gem of information i picked up the other night at the seminar I went to - 50 cheap or free things you can do to promote your business. Talk is cheap was the title of the heading, 'talking to your customers'.

I know it sounds like common sense but how many of us have been to a craft fair/market and you wander round and stallholders sit behind their stalls and avoid any eye contact?? This was one of the points made by the speaker and she commented on how this came across to a potential buyer (ignorance, rudeness, snootiness etc). I must admit, I probably did this at the first fair I ever did, partly from being shy and nervous (yes, me I know, but I was, honest!!) and partly from not wanting to appear over-bearing and pushy. I do still feel uncomfortable talking to others about my work, I'm not sure why, but I know it is something I have to 'get over' to promote myself more and 'sell myself'. Our speaker talked about how we, as artists/designers/makers should try to talk more to customers, whether it be polite chit chat, talking about the weather, your latest product, anything to get the conversation off the ground. After all, talk isn't only cheap it's free and it provides a portal into which your potential customers can find out more about you and your work. If people like you they are more likely to like your work!!

This talking lark, or chatting up our customers, I do on a day-to-day basis in my job, so why do I find it so hard to carry this over into my creative work??

No comments: